Visit the VA’s Rate Table for up-to-date information.

With the exception of advance pay, the VA pays at the end of each benefit month.

Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 benefits are required to “verify” their enrollment status on or after the last day of the month. Students may verify by calling the toll-free number (1-877-823-2378) or by accessing the VA WAVE website.

Student using Chapter 33 will need to verify their enrollment. See link for more information on the verification process.

Upon verification, the VA will process the payment and send it to the student either by mail or direct deposit. It is highly recommended that students elect the direct deposit option to eliminate lost or stolen checks. In addition, students using direct deposit receive benefits in four or five working days, as opposed to seven to ten days by mail.

Contact the VA directly if you need information about your payment status.

They can be reached by calling: 1-888-442-4551

No, any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the IRS.

Visit and input your information into the VA’s Comparison Tool. The Comparison Tool will allow for a comprehensive evaluation of your benefit options at LSU.

The VA does not pay for courses which are not prerequisites or required in students’ degree programs. Students are responsible for ensuring that the courses apply toward their degrees. If they are not sure, they should consult with their academic advisors. If students wish to take courses that are not required, we will certify only the required courses and report a change in status affecting only those courses.

VA will pay for repeated courses as long as they are required and the grades previously earned do not meet degree requirements. Enrolling again in a course from which a student withdrew is not considered a repeated course.

If you are eligible for National Guard, you will receive a reduced TOPS stipend. Please contact the TOPS office at 1-800-259-5626 for more questions.

Students using the GI BIll® Post 9/11 (Ch. 33) and Dependents Educational Assistance (Ch. 35) will receive in-state tuition. You will need to apply for your chosen benefit and submit our office the enrollment certification form

The VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their program. Learn more about the GI Bill®.

Please visit our How To Receive Tutorial Assistance tab for information about the VA's tutoring program.

Visit LSU’s Office of Budget and Planning and view the Fee Schedule for the current academic year. The National Guard Tuition Exemption program only exempts you from paying the tuition outlined on this schedule. To calculate your remaining bill, subtract the tuition cost from the Resident Total.

The Board of Regents maintains a policy regarding the mobilization/activation of Reserve and National Guard units. The Office of the University Registrar maintains a chart that briefly outlines the policy. If you have any questions about this policy, contact the Office of the University Registrar (registrar@lsu.edu or 225-578-1686).

No. If you are at 100% of eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, you will receive roughly $988*/month housing stipend. Please refer to the comparison tool to an updated amount.

*current amount for Spring 2023

The VA will send you your stipend at the beginning of each month.

Your LA National Guard Tuition exemption will only cover tuition. You are responsible for the fees portion.

Please fill out the enrollment certification form. This form allows us to certify you for your classes and for you to receive your VA educational programs. We cannot certify you without this form.

We do not have a date. However, we recommend that you submit the enrollment form once you register for classes. The sooner, the better.

Absolutely! Your exemption is good for 5 years, or until you turn 25. Simply send us a copy of your certificate and we will add to your account.

Information about the VA's work-study program can be found on their GI Bill® Work-Study website. Eligible students should complete an Application for Work-Study Allowance (Form 22-8691) and submit it to the VA work-study coordinator at the Muskogee Regional Office.

For more information on applying, please visit the Military and Veteran Admissions website. 

Advancing your education often requires you to take costly national tests. You may be eligible for reimbursement from VA. For more information, the application form and eligible tests, please visit the VA's VA Testing Program website.

Yes! Please make sure the VA has your correct contact information and then follow the instructions in the following link: Enrollment Verification

Please contact the Office of the University Registrar (registrar@lsu.edu or 225-578-1686)

Yes! The William A. Brookshire Military & Veterans Student Center is located behind Barnes & Nobles (lsuveterans@lsu.edu or 225-578-4647)

If you have additional questions, please contact our office at: va@lsu.edu or 225-578-3103