Receive Tutorial Assistance


If you are eligible for education benefits and need help in a subject, you can get supplemental payments for tutorial assistance. The subject must be necessary for the completion of your approved program. You must be training at one-half time or more in a post-secondary program at an educational institution. Even if you are passing a course, you can get tutorial assistance if your grade will not be credited toward completion of your program.

Note that this benefit is not available under REAP.


VA will pay up to $100 per month for your tutorial assistance. The tutorial assistance you get will be in addition to your regular monthly education benefits for going to school.


The limit for tutorial assistance is $1,200 (12 times the maximum monthly rate of $100).

Submitting a Claim For Tutorial Assistance

After you have received tutoring, do the following:

Step 1: Fill out the VA form 22-1990T.

  • Complete Items 1 through 13.
  • In Item 10, show the individual unit subject or subjects (e. g., Math 101) for which you needed tutoring.
  • Be sure to complete all blocks A through F in Item 12. If any block is not checked, your payment may be delayed.

Step 2: Take the completed form to your tutor. The tutor must:

  • Sign and date the application in Items 14A and 14B.
  • Verify the information you provided.
  • Certify that he or she is the person who gave you individualized tutoring, and is not closely related to you (i.e., spouse, parent, brother, sister or child).

Step 3: Bring the completed form to LSU's Office of Veterans Affairs. We will:

  • Complete Items 15 and 16.
  • Sign in Items 17A and 17B.

Step 4: Only for those receiving the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are requesting tutorial assistance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, take this form to the professor or instructor of the course for which tutoring was necessary. The teacher must:

  • Sign 18A
  • Complete 18B

Step 5: Review and Submit this form.

After you have completed the form, send it to VA as soon as possible after your tutoring is complete. VA will not pay assistance for any tutoring received more than one year before the day VA actually receives your claim.

You should submit this form to:

VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888